Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentines Treat

I remember eating red velvet cake when I was younger and finding foiled wrapped coins inside the cake! We were so excited when we would find a coin in our cake! This recipe comes from Grandma Anderson and my mom loved to eat this cake growing up as well!
RED CAKE:
Beat together:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs

Make into paste:
2 oz. red food coloring
2 tbs. cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt add to 1st mix

Beating alternatly:1 cup buttermilk- 2 1/2 flour

Mix together & fold in:
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Frosting:
Cook till thick-6 tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
put lid on pan and set till cool

Add: 1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat with mixer till consistency to spread
Sprinkle with coconut

{This is the recipe my mom had in her box-it did not have a cooking time-so I guess just use 350 degrees and watch the cake!}

Happy valentines day everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment